Monday, November 8, 2010

Books for Tian

I have stopped buying toys for Tian for a long time. Reason: She never asks for toys when we go shopping and even if I buy one for her, she will only play for a few hours and very seldom after that.

She is happy when I buy books for her and will pester for me to read and explain to her. This is a good habit but I have been guilty of not allocating a lot of time to read to her.

Books that I bought some weeks ago at discounted price


One thing I do not understand is that she likes reading but when I try to do revision on her flash cards from her pre-school, she is very reluctant to learn. I will need to bribe her by telling her that I will read the books that I have bought for her if she finishes revising her flash cards.

Did I do wrong in showing too many colourful pictures to her since young? The principal in her new pre-school told me that children will only love words and letters if we do not show them colourful pictures before 2 years old. This is to prevent them to be attracted to pictures instead of words. She showed me the materials that they use for teaching are plain and mostly without colours.

I do not know if this is true but since Tao does not like looking at books, I might be able to start showing her letters and words (not pictures) when she is older and see how it goes. I think my parents-in-law will think I am mad if I start flashing letters and words to Tao instead of pictures.

2 comments:

Montessorimum said...

Learning do not have to be so rigid through flash card. I think you do nothing wrong by reading and offering your children colourful books.

The benefits of picture books obviously overwrite flash cards. When your child starts develop the love to read, learning comes with ease.

There are many good picture books in the market.

You may be interested in reading this

http://www.childrenspicturebooks.info/

Yi Ling said...

Hi Elaine,
I am surprised you read my blog. I have been following your blog quite long ago.
I feel the pressure is there for me to coach my daughter properly. I have just resigned from my job to help my hubby in his business and to have more time with my children. I am worried to hear comments like, 'The mum is at home with the kids and yet they are so slack in their studies, bad manners, naughty etc.'
I keep telling myself time to time to take it easy and not to be such perfectionist.