Monday, January 10, 2011

What is your occupation?

This is the question that I find most difficult to answer and hate most.

Until last year, it had been 1) QA Engineer 2) PA (Program Administrator) or Planner

Since I have resigned from my job last year, I always hesitated before giving an answer.

I can't reply, 'Not working' (seems like doing nothing) as I am helping my hubby in managing administrative side of his business. I filled my position as 'Finance and Admin Executive' in KWSP Borang A when I submit EPF for our employees. However, I feel that I am exaggerating if I tell people I am a Finance and Admin Executive and what if they ask me which company I am attached to. Certainly it will be an anti-climax if I answer, 'I work at home for my husband's company'. Haha.

I don't like to inform people I am self-employed although I have my own registered company. It is only generating a meagre income from some inconsistent trading business.

My friends say to tell people I am 'Sau Nai Nai' (Lady of Leisure) but I think it is far from it. I work like a bull and I don't even have time to stop at cafe for a cup of tea when I am running errands outside. Lady of Leisure must have a lot of free time to have high tea, go shopping, do facials etc.

So I begin to answer this question depending on situations. Credit card agents will get answer that I am working for my husbands company so that it is easier to get the credit cards. When I meet my old colleagues, I would tell them I am assisting my hubby in his business. When I meet people that make small talk with me, I would tell them I am a SAHM.

Who am I?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Self-employed...

Yi Ling said...

I do fill my occupation as 'self-employed' in the entry form to Singapore and also my daughter's entry form to her kindergarten when I know I don't have to elaborate further about nature of my business. Sometimes I am just lazy to explain to people.