Wednesday, January 12, 2011

She says.....

Hubby was asking Tian to answer something and Tian simply guessed and got the answer correctly.

Hubby: (Direct translation from Mandarin) Like this you also 'mao1 chong4' (Mao1 Chong4 is a Taiwanese way of expressing getting the answer by guessing blindly)

Tian: Mao (Cat) is not Chong (Heavy) because it is very small. Kou (Dog) is Chong (Heavy).

Kids are so cute.

P/S: I find it hard to express my kids humour in my blog because I can't write in Mandarin. As I was educated in Bahasa Malaysia since Primary School, I am only able to read little Mandarin. It makes me quite determined to send my kids to Chinese Primary School but I will be worried about their command in Bahasa Melayu and English. Is there any better way to decide?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did not know much Mandarin but these days, living in Sibu, everyone's speaking Mandarin...in the shops, the restaurants, the schools...now I'm quite conversant already.

Isaac Tan said...

hello there Yi Ling! Just wondering around the net and found your blog.

Grats on having 2 wonderful kids :D

same here, english educated, but picked up mandarin during my uni days, now can speak fluently, but still cannot read and write though :(

Yi Ling said...

Hi Mr Wee, I used to speak Mandarin to my classmates and Hokkien (my dialect) to others. I do not know most people in Sibu speak Mandarin already. Most people around JB speaks Mandarin too due to influence from Singaporean TV channels.

Hi Isaac, Good for you. Learning Mandarin is not easy. My hubby's family are purely Mandarin educated and attended Chinese Independent Secondary School. They used to laugh at my lack of accurate pronunciation of certain words. Ex. TAN4 for eggs and TANG4 for stalls. It was infuriating.