Wednesday, January 26, 2011

My kids love blueberries!

I drove my PIL and Tian to Singapore last Saturday because they wanted to buy New Year goodies. They bought a lot of things like dried scallop, dried oyster, salmon, cod fish, dried white bait fish, stuff for steamboat etc.

I found treasure in one of the shopping centres. Blueberries! I always plan to buy locally but they are not only expensive (RM9.90 for a punnet of 125g) but the berries look wrinkled and mouldy. I got the same amount and packaging in Singapore for SGD2.80 (converted to RM is around RM6.50 per punnet).

We bought 2 punnets of blueberries and 1 punnet of strawberries

I add those blueberries into my girls oatmeal with fruits (normally I will just add single fruit like apples, pears, bananas, raisins, dried blackcurrants etc) for their breakfast. They like their blueberry oatmeal a lot and they have been having this for a few mornings and they are not complaining yet. Even my elder girl who always likes chocolate milk to be added to her oatmeal manages to polish off her oatmeal without chocolate milk.

Oatmeal with apples and blueberries!

I cook oatmeal and add some fruits for my girls every morning so I have to be creative in varying the fruits so that they will not get sick of their oatmeal. I am glad that they have been having this for almost 6 months and they are still willing to finish their oatmeal without much coaxing.

Baby oats that I always buy in bulk for my daughters

I have something to admit. I do not like to eat oatmeal but I am introducing this to my daughters' meal due to benefits like soluble fibre (prevents constipation) and there is a claim that kids who have oats for breakfast will have better concentration than their peers who do not have any oats. No wonder I was always sleepy when I was in school. Haha!!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always wary of imported fruits - heard something about chemicals used to prevent ripening during shipment and what not. Better opt for our fresh local fruits. Bananas go well with oatmeal...or with peanut butter in sandwiches.

Yi Ling said...

I think you are talking about ethylene gas removal system. Fruits and vegetables give off ethylene gas that starts the ripening cycle so producers, shippers etc have to use ethylene removal in either pellets, sachets, air filter form to reduce ripening and deterioration.
Yes, i agree with you. We never know what kind of chemicals used in those ethylene removal. I do add bananas to oatmeal but I seldom buy bananas because they ripen too fast before we manage to finish them all.