Thursday, March 10, 2011

Steamboat on Chap Goh Meh and other foods in Kuching

To celebrate Chap Goh Meh (the fifteenth day of Chinese New Year), we had steamboat for dinner. There were thirteen adults and two kids so I suggested to my mum to have steamboat as it would be too much of a hassle to cook different dishes for all of us.


We had beef slices (used for Japanese Shabu-Shabu), pomfret fish, prawns, pig liver, fish/ prawn balls, sea cucumber, eggs and different types of mushrooms.

After dinner, my dad lit fire crackers and most of the people around the neighbourhood did the same. My cousins lit lots of fireworks and the kids had a great time admiring them. My parents-in-law were amazed and said that it had been very long since they saw people light fireworks/ fire crackers so freely unlike in West Malaysia.


We had very nice Kolo Mee at this shop called Sin Lian Shin at Green Road. It was a very old shop and even on weekdays, we had to wait for more than half an hour for this simple but delicious noodles. There were no photos of the noodles because the kids were getting restless due to hot weather and long waiting time. When the noodles and 'pien sip' (meat wrapped in skin made from flour) were served, we wolfed down the food and I had totally forgotten to take any photos. We proceeded to the muzium to enjoy the air-cond and it was my in-laws first visit in Kuching.

On another day,we had a dinner at Lok Garden. I was not sure where it was but I heard my dad mentioned at Batu Lintang. Luckily we reached there early and did not have to wait for too long as the place was getting more and more packed.



Lok Garden Restaurant



Mango Fish



Fried Oyster (Oh-Chien). When I remembered to take a photo, there were almost none left

There were some other delicious foods that I did not manage to take photos like fish maw soup, two dishes of midin (local/ native vegetables) cooked with red yeast wine and sambal. Both tasted superb. We had some pork dishes, garlic salted prawn etc. The bill was considered cheap as there were ten adult and two kids having the meal and it was only around RM200 including drinks. Oh, how I loved having meals in Sarawak!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah yes! That's one of the best kolo mee in town. So old and run down the shop, the furniture old and wobbly, the place so small and crowded...but the kolo mee - best lah!

Go around 4p,m, and buy the nyonya kuihs and nyonya chang from the old lady's stall...right in front of the coffee shop. Nothing else anywhere over your side will ever be good enough for you ever again!

Anonymous said...

Oh? Batu Lintang? That must be at the open air stalls... Haven't been there since the 70s when in college (nearby). You did not try the Kuching fried noodles - with tomato sauce? Best lah...

Yi Ling said...

Next time it will be easy for me to get my dad or bro to buy nyonya kuihs and chang for me. My bro's gf (will be married end of this year) lives nearby.
Yes, Lok Garden was one of the stalls at the open air area. I am not a fan of noodles except occasional kolo mee or kampua. Maybe I will give it a try next time.