Saturday, March 19, 2011

Sharing needs to be taught

I have only learnt today that I have to teach my kids to share.

Before this, whenever my 4 yo and 2 yo were fighting over certain toys or books, we (adults) would just reprimand my 4 yo and insisted she should share with her sister. It always ended up with the little sister getting what she wanted and the 4 yo crying and being punished.

This morning and afternoon, I was alone at home taking care of my kids and I decided to really accompany them. No TV on the background and no surfing net for me. I took some toys and played cooking with them. When the 2 yo wanted something from the 4 yo, I would tell her it belonged to the sister but I tried to ask the 4 yo to lend her. She agreed and let her sister played for a while. I monitored them playing and guided them when they were snatching toys. They played for more than one hour peacefully. I was glad!



The 2 girls played together peacefully for the longest time

Normally when we were watching TV or chatting and the girls began to fight, we did not have the patience to know what exactly happened and we would just scold/ punish the elder girl if she hit or pushed the 2 yo in attempt to claim what belonged to her. She must be deeply hurt when we sometimes even caned her for that.

Lesson learned: We have to demonstrate and guide our children the proper way on how we would want them to behave instead of just being verbal. Actions do speak louder than words.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, children learn a lot from imitating the adults...

Yi Ling said...

I agree. I also have problem coaching my 4 yo girl because she ends up wanting to 'teach' me and asks me to read after her.
She will also use a cane and pretend to warn her little sister to be obedient like what we do to her.