Sunday, March 27, 2011

Crafting Week

Sometimes I feel guilty being a work-at-home mum but seldom accompany my girls as much as I want to except during weekends when my parents-in-law are not with us and I have take care of them on my own. Even so, I will leave them to play on their own while surfing net or doing my admin work. However, since last two weekends I decided to accompany them on Saturdays without touching my laptop except when they are both sleeping. I actually feel better because I am able to concentrate with one task at a time and my girls are happy that I can play with them, read to them and do some crafts with them. One evening last week, I told my 4 yo I wanted to make a mask for her and she chose to be Belle, the character from Beauty and the Beast. My 2 yo would want anything that her sister had so I made her a simple mask. I was getting lazy so I just simply cut out a piece of paper with two holes on it. She was satisfied. A few days later, my 4 yo pestered me to let her draw pictures with water colour. Normally, I would only let her use water colour when the younger sister was napping. After she promised she would share with her sister and would not fight with her sister, I let them play at the garage. Reason due to I HATE CLEANING UP just in case they spilt the water and colours. To my surprise, they played peacefully for more than half an hour. Last Saturday, I cut out some shapes from a paper plate and let the girls pasted the legs, head and tail to make a stegosaurus (I got the idea from one of my ex-school mate's blog). Again, they spent about one hour doing all the pasting plus some colouring. My 4 yo even helped her sister draw the eyes and colour the body of her dinosaur.
Finished work of two stegosaurus


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Children are naturally active and love doing things. Otherwise,you will have cause to worry and have to take them to see a doctor.

Do spend quality time...skip doing your own work or going online on weekends for them - as they grow, you will see the your sacrifices are really worth it. As the saying goes, what goes around...comes around.

cre8tone said...

Nice craft and art work your kids done there!

Yi Ling said...

STP: That's why I try to stop 'working' after evening time and on weekends unless it is urgent.
I think my 4 yo benefits the most from these arrangements because I spend more time with her playing and teaching her new things. She is very curious about things around her and even asks me to explain to her books regarding bodily functions like our organs, skeletons etc and I am having a hard time trying to explain to her in simplest form possible.

Prince n Princess mum: Thanks for visiting my blog. You must have managed your time very well to be able to do so much crafts with your kids.