Friday, April 23, 2010

Weaning in Progress

Tao is 8 months and 3 weeks old. I started to wean Tao today by feeding her 1 oz of formula milk using cup and spoon just for her to have a taste of another type of milk. I felt like cheating her by feeding her 'artificial milk' although it is almost the right time to do so.

I planned to wean her gradually when she is 9 to 10 months old by supplementing with formula milk once a day and continue to express milk during day time and nurse at night. However, I decided to start now because my milk supply was decreasing since last week after clogged milk duct leading to infection with flu-like symptom. Initially, the problem started because of sore nipple so I fed Tao less on the affected side due to excruciating pain. I think I did not empty that side properly during feeding/ pumping and caused milk to back up. When I read from my book regarding this problem, it advised to let baby nurse from affected side first. The clogged duct cleared after that but left me with almost 50% of usual supply so I had been using my stock from the freezer.

So I let Tao start to taste formula earlier so that she will not reject formula milk when needed. I supplemented her with formula during confinement when milk supply was not established but as supply increased, I began reducing formula until she completely rejected formula in second month and she had been feeding on breast milk ever since.

I express milk using pump during day time when I am working, going out or even at home. Tao gets use to nurse only at night (in dimmed light and air-conditioned room) so she refuses to feed directly even if I am with her during the day. Choosy little girl. I have done my pumping everywhere. In washrooms at my office, nursing rooms in shopping complex, fitting rooms (when nursing rooms at not available and washrooms are dirty), washrooms in airport, washrooms at Singapore customs and even in the car during traffic jam (using a huge scarf tied around my neck for cover up - I am so used to pumping that I do not even have to see what I am doing)

Hopefully by feeding Tao with breast milk until now will ensure her to grow up healthy and smart :)

No comments: